Tuesday 8 January 2013

Novemberfest 2012

My boyfriend and his friends have just a great tradition. He celebrates Octoberfest on Novermber, calling it a Novemberfest. 

In previous years, themes have been such as Belgium and Germany, this year was Black November, that there were also a little "theme America". The difference with the previous celebrations, that this year boyfriend did all the brews himself. They, BF and his friends, had brewed three different types of beer, and in addition had already done their own cider, so the list was impressive. In addition, they found a bottle self-made beer from three years ago. I wish I would understand the beauty of beers becouse they said that the 3 years old beer was one of the best beers they have tasted, so it supports the idea that some of the beers grow like wine, finer with time. Also this year (party becouse of me) there was food involve

In fact, of course, I am extremely excited about this subject, I'm a long time been organizing a variety of small get-together, but only with two people, now I got to really organize more people just at the right get-together, WONDERFUL!




The list was K1P's (brewery name) Ale-style beer Black November, K1P Reunion Indian Pale Ale aka IPA and K1P El Viejito aka Chili-Chocolate Imperial Stout. I wish I had a taste of this, and I tried to follow when this was served, so I could taste a little bit, but I lost that opportunity at some point ... However, I did get promise that I will get a taste of this still somewhere, yay! Then, there was still K1P's Mickels Hard Cider, or very dry apple cider. This, too, somehow I just missed, but I did get opportunity to taste it later. Let's say it was very dry. As I watched the women guests, they were digging it. To cider people it worked. I do not know much about the hobby of beer and how much other enthusiasts to put their own beers, but this really convinced me totally! Looks very intelligent hobby. Its art!





The menu was created based on our trip to New York City, where we visited many breweries and also a Fette Sau, the greatest barbeque -theme restaurant I have ever visited! From Fette Sau we stole the idea to Pulled Pork in form of Pulled Pork Sliders with marinated onion rings (they were fantastic!!) and barbecue sauces. In addition, the previous night's tomato-onion salad "leftovers" and "sausage fest" aka three different sausages and three kinds of mustard tastings as well. The Dessert was Kriekmousse so that too supported the beer theme.


Pulled PORK
Pork shoulder (for example, a couple of pounds a piece, depending on the amount of eaters)
spices/Rub spice mix (our spice rub was combination of smoke-flavored rub mixture and chilli, salt and pepper).

Pigskin "stabbed" First of all, in order to produce holes. Then the shoulder is rubbed a little oil and then spice rub as well. Shoulder is left "the fat", ie the leather upwards. In fact I put the shoulder to marinade for a day in the refrigerator before I put in the oven. I put the pork under the foil, but this isn't necessary. The oven temperature was low, 110 degrees. When the meat was 93 degrees, piggy was ready. The fat was melted through the meat making it smooth, tasty and fall apart easy. So easy that the meat felt of from the bone.

KRIEKMOUSSE (6-8 servings)
4 dl cherry beer (Kriek)
1 lime juice
1 lime zest, grated
100 g white chocolate
2 egg yolks
250 g quark (although I replaced this with whipped cream)
250 g of mascarpone
 Grate the lime zest and squeeze the juice.

 Add to saucepan cherry beer and lime juice. Boil together until the liquid is reduced to half.
 Melt the white chocolate in beer -limejuice mix.
 Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the egg yolks set. Let it cool down.
 Whisk in quark and mascarpone.
 Decorate the mousse with grated lime zest and enjoy with the cherry beer.

MARINATED RED ONIONS
4 red onion
½  dl red wine vinegar (although I used white wine vinegar)
1 dl  sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peel the onions. Cut onions into thin rings as the mandolin or a knife. Combine with other ingredients and leave to marinate at room temperature for one hour. Season with salt and pepper.

ONION-TOMATO SALAD
 beefsteak tomatoes or a couple of smaller standard
medium onion
good olive oil
(Basil)
Black pepper

Tomatoes and onion into thin slices / rings and a plate. With olive oil and spices. That's it.

I must say that this was a very pleasant task. I have a dream that the next time I would use even more beer in cooking. If the world was perfect, I could even see what beers will be served, and to make the food fully in support the beer, but then it would loose the spontanius. Now it was nice, that people could get what ever food when ever they wanted. I had an absolutely amazing time, thanks to all the guests, and, of course, to my babe! You are wonderful! Thank you for showing me what the wonderful world of brewing is all about!




There was also something for us not-so-much-alcohol-thank-you -drinkers. 


And because there were so many glasses around, we put an initials to every glass. Helped a lot during the evening! It actually caused a lot of conversation also! It was fun!


Also big thank you for all of you, who found your way to my blog. Cheers!

- Jaana

No comments:

Post a Comment